Functions of the Department
The General Directorate of Consular Affairs is the subdivision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration which implements the policies of the MFAEI in the consular field. The General Directorate of Consular Affairs exercises a wide range of functions from different fields, among which are – coordination of rights protection activities and Moldovan citizens’ interests abroad, elaboration of policies in the consular field, strengthening the internal and international legislation, coordination the issuance of identification and civil status documents for Moldovan citizens situated abroad, informing the public about the modalities of traveling abroad etc.
The variety of functions exercised by the General Directorate of Consular Affairs has its origins in the number of legal sources, at the national and international level, which governs this field: Vienna Convention on consular relations, Bilateral consular conventions concluded between the Republic of Moldova and other states, Law on diplomatic service, Decision of the Government for the approval of consular status, Regulation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration regarding the activity of the General Directorate of Consular Affairs etc.
The General Directorate of Consular Affairs has the following Main functions:
- protection of interests of the Republic of Moldova and its citizens, individuals and legal entities;
- providing help and assistance to Moldovan nationals, individuals and legal entities;
- development of consular relations between the Republic of Moldova and other countries;
- overseeing and coordination of consular activity of diplomatic missions and consular offices of the Republic of Moldova;
- informing about the conditions and evolution of events in the consular field abroad, sending of reports in this perspective to the authorities of the Republic of Moldova and providing consular information to interested persons;
- coordination of activities regarding the implementation of treaties in consular field concluded by the Republic of Moldova, as well as of activities established by policies, national programs and strategies and ministerial plans;
- exercising any other function mentioned by the legislation of the Republic of Moldova and international treaties concluded by the Republic of Moldova